As much as we take good care of our dogs at home, we can’t prevent accidents from happening – indoors or outdoors. The best thing you can do is to equip yourself with knowledge on the best remedies in case such events occur.

Dogs are considered at high risk for poisoning at home. Some of the important things you need to know when it comes to possible poisoning include the signs and symptoms of poisoning and the last thing your dog ate or touched.

Once you are certain that your dog is poisoned, contact your veterinarian immediately. Most poisons have life-threatening effects on humans and animals, so you will really need a professional’s help.

But while waiting for a veterinarian to come, there are a few basic treatments that you can give to your dog immediately to reduce the harmful effects of a possible poisoning. These are some of the common types of poisoning and the recommended actions for you to take.

Acid poisoning

Acid can come from batteries and household cleaners. They can cause burns, abdominal pain and vomiting when accidentally taken.

Do not induce vomiting on your dog as the reflux of the acid can cause burning of the mouth and esophageal lining. Let him drink milk or baking soda instead.

Alcohol poisoning

Alcohol can come not just from alcoholic beverages and rubbing alcohol, but from perfumes and other things at home. Collapsing and vomiting are the first signs of ingestion of alcohol in dogs.

Give your dog a mixture ratio of 1:1 water and hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. Crush a tablet of activated charcoal to help with the absorption of other toxins left. Take your dog to the veterinarian immediately as alcohol is very dangerous to their bodies.

Alkaline poisoning

Alkalines are found in solvents and cleaners. These can cause severe burning of the mouth and vomiting of blood.

Inducing vomiting will not help in this situation. Instead, give your dog a glass with half evaporated milk and half lemon juice or vinegar to help in neutralizing the alkali.

Aspirin poisoning

Most households are keeping aspirin as painkillers. This medication may be hazardous for a dog if taken in a higher than normal dose, so they should be kept in a closed container – away from a dog’s reach.

When ingested in large amounts, your dog can feel very sleepy or can even lose consciousness. Giving a teaspoon of ipecac or a mixture ratio of 1:1 water and hydrogen peroxide can help induce vomiting and get rid of the tablets inside the dog’s body.

Chocolate

lemon, chocolate, sweet and sour

Cocoa and chocolate are commonly found in the household especially during the holidays. Theobromine is a chemical contained in the chocolates which is considered poisonous for dogs. When it is ingested by dogs, they may show different symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea and abnormal gait.

The first thing you should do is to give a few tablets of crushed activated charcoal to your dog. As theobromine may take a few days to be eliminated from the body, you will need to seek the help of a veterinarian.

A lot of potential dangers linger outside and inside your home, so you should always consider your dog’s safety. Keep the hazardous chemicals out of your dog’s reach and always keep an eye on him.

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here